top of page


Resources Menu

Bill of Rights for
People with Developmental Disabilities

  • Be treated nicely at all times and as a person

  • Have a clean safe place to live in and a place to be alone

  • Have food that is good for you

  • Be able to go, if you want, to any church, temple, mosque

  • Be able to go to a doctor or dentist when you are sick

  • Be able to have people help you with the way you walk, talk, do things with your hands, act or feel, if you need it

  • Be able to have people help and teach you, if you want

  • Be able to have time and a place to go to be by yourself

  • Be able to call, write letters or talk to anyone you want about anything you want

  • Be able to have your own things and be able to use them

  • Be able to have men and women as friends

  • Be able to join in activities and do things that will help you grow to be the best person you can be

  • Be able to work and make money

  • Be treated like everyone else

  • Not be hit, yelled at, cursed at, or called names that hurt you

  • Be able to learn new things, make friends, have activities to do, and go out in your community

  • Be able to tell people what you want and be part of making plans or decisions about your life

  • Be able to ask someone you want to help you, let others know how you feel or what you want

  • Be able to use your money to pay for things you need and want with help, if you need it

  • Be able to say yes or no before people talk about what you do at work or home or look at your file

  • Be able to complain or ask for changes if you don’t like something without being afraid of getting in trouble

  • Not be given medicine that you don't need, or be held down if you are not hurting yourself or others

  • To vote and learn about laws and your community

  • To say yes or no to being part of a study or experiment

ORC 5123.62

The rights of people with developmental disabilities are outlined in Ohio Revised Code 5123.62. If a person with a disability believes his or her rights have been violated, or anyone else believes a person’s rights have been violated, it may be reported to any of the following:

◊ Noble County Board of DD, 46049 Marietta Road, Suite 4, Caldwell, OH 43724 or 740-732-7144

◊ Ohio Department of DD, 30 E. Broad St., 13th Floor, Columbus, OH 43215 or 1-866-313-6733

◊ Disability Rights Ohio, 50 West Broad St., Suite 1400, Columbus, OH 43215 or 1-800-282-9181. (TTY) 1-800-858-3542.

bottom of page